Friday, April 27, 2012

A Yarn's Story (Something a Bit Different 3KCBWDAY5)

Today's theme for Knit and Crochet Blog week is "something a bit different." The idea is to challenge ourselves to create a different kind of blog post. One of the suggestions was to write from a different perspective (such as from a knitted sock's point of view). Using that as a starting point, I decided that I would "interview" a ball of yarn from the stash.

Note: To keep me from being biased, I had my significant other (with some help from the cat) select the lucky ball of yarn.

***



Me: First of all, thank you for agreeing to be interviewed. What would you like to be called?

Yarn: You can call me Pumpkin.

Me: Would you mind explaining your name to our readers?

Pumpkin: Of course not. I was dyed in the Oh Great Pumpkin colorway. I'm proud to be one of a limited number of skeins that Bohemia Fibers dyed for Halloween.

Me: I thought it was a fun colorway.

Pumpkin: and you're a sucker for limited edition colors!

Me: You must have been talking to other yarns in the stash...

Pumpkin: Yep, we have a lot of time to chat while waiting to see what we're going to be made into. Sometimes we even take bets on who is going to get knit up first!

Me: That brings me to my next question. How long have you been in the stash?

Pumpkin: I believe it was sometime in October 2010... I am a Halloween colorway after-all. 

Me: We've talked about your color, but what about your other qualities?

Pumpkin: Well, I'm a DK weight yarn, and I'm 230 yards long.

Me: And what fiber are you?

Pumpkin: I'm a Superwash Merino. I like being soft and squishy.


Me: I had forgotten how squishy you are.

Pumpkin: You really should spend more time with your yarn stash.

Me: I'd rather spend more time knitting, but I've been busy with work.

Pumpkin: You always have some excuse for not knitting with me...

Me: Well, what kind of project would you like to be?

Pumpkin: I think I want to be a cowl. You have certainly been knitting a lot of them lately! And Moonstone seems happy now that she's a cowl. And she's gotten compliments now that she's knit up.

Me: Ok, we'll have to look at some cowl patterns and see which ones you like.

Pumpkin: Maybe a twisted rib pattern... something to show off my lovely colors...

Me: That sounds like a good idea. I'm not sure a cowl will use all 230 yards though. Is that ok?

Pumpkin: I hadn't thought about that... I'd be ok with being a cowl and a matching pair of fingerless gloves.  As long as you wear them together!

Me: That sounds fair. Is there anything else you want our readers to know about you?

Pumpkin: I wanted to say that I look a little washed out in the picture - I'm really much brighter in person.

Me: Sorry about that, I was too slow to take your picture in natural light.

Pumpkin: I'll forgive you - I'm not a big fan of the sun anyway. Rainy days are more my style.  I love fall, and I'm totally looking forward to the Great Pumpkin visiting us on Halloween!

Me: You do realize there's still about 6 months until Halloween.

Pumpkin: Then you should be able to knit me into a cowl and mitts by then!

***

Let me know what you thought about today's post, and if you have any suggestions for cowl/mitt patterns for Pumpkin!

Check out more creative blog posts by searching for 3KCBWDAY5
You can vote for your favorite post here: http://www.eskimimimakes.com/2012/04/knitting-and-crochet-blog-week-creative.html

3 comments:

  1. You had much more fun than I did with this one! I was so stymied with a lack of creative inspiration. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, ladies! I have been thinking about doing more creative writing, so this was fun. Thinking of getting back into short story writing.

    ReplyDelete