Saturday, April 28, 2012

Improving your skillset (3KCBWDAY6)

Today's topic for Knit and Crochet blog week is improving your skillset. One of my current knitting goals is to knit myself a sweater. I have been thinking about it awhile, but hadn't been ready to invest the time and money necessary to make something that will (hopefully!) fit me.

While some skills I feel confident learning from a book or watching a you tube video, I felt it would be helpful to take a class to really learn how to knit a sweater that will fit. I have been looking at the class schedules for the various yarn stores around town to find a class that would fit my schedule. During the Rose City Yarn Crawl last month I was lucky enough to win a gift certificate for a class at the Naked Sheep. So I was excited to see them announce a First Sweater Class starting in May. I even get to pick my own pattern!

After some debating, I finally decided on this pattern from Ashfield Cardigan from New England Knits, and ordered some Cascade 220 Superwash in a Sage green (they didn't have enough in stock, and I'm not sure of the exact color name). Now that I've ordered yarn I think I'm comitted to starting this sweater!

I'm looking forward to learning new skills, and being able to wear a sweater that I made myself. I'm sure there will be more to say once the class actually starts, but for now I'm excited to take another class! Look for more blog posts on sweater knitting in the future :)
And if you want to read more blogs on this topic, don't forget to search for 3KCBWDAY6.

What new skills have you learned recently? What skills would you like to learn? 

2 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful pattern; I look forward to seeing your finished sweater.

    New skill for me? I learned to steek last week! That was fun.

    http://pdxknitterati.com/2012/04/28/eeek-steeks-3kcbwday6/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty sweater! I may try that one out too. I've done one sweater for myself, but I don't wear it. Not sure why. Oh, yeah, its pink! I think I may need to introduce some dye to it.

    ReplyDelete