Thursday, April 26, 2012

Seasonal Knitting (3KCBWDAY4)

Today's post for Knit and Crochet Blog Week is about knitting in different seasons. I pay more attention to seasonal changes since I moved to Oregon (there weren't really seasons in California), and participate in seasonal celebrations.

As far as knitting goes, I have noticed that I want to knit more shawls in spring and summer, while I'm more likely to knit hats and fingerless gloves in the fall and winter. I also think about what fibers I'm using depending on who I'm knitting for. I might knit an alpaca/wool scarf for a friend in Portland, but I knit a lacy bamboo scarf for my mom in California. I've also been thinking about knitting shawls and bags for friends this summer.

I notice my knitting goes through cycles - I was knitting lots of cowls for the cowl KAL, and now I'm starting more shawl KALs. But I'm not sure that's related to the seasonal changes so much as just getting bored with one type of project.

As I mentioned in Mondays post on choosing colors, seasonal changes have more affect on what colors I choose for a project. I like deep, saturated colors in fall, icy blues in winter, pinks and lavenders in spring, turquoise and greens in summer. My coworkers have also been wearing brighter colors this week - I think everyone is getting ready for summer, and trying to wear happier colors to make up for the cloudy weather we've been experiencing.

Do you find yourself knitting different things at different times of the year? Don't forget to check out more posts on this topic by searching for 3KCBWDAY4.

1 comment:

  1. I can't let a season slow me down, or I wouldn't get gift giving stuff done. ;-)

    ReplyDelete