Monday, April 23, 2012

Colour Lovers (Knitting Crochet Blog Week Post 1)

Color is an important part of knitting for me. I think about what color will match something in my wardrobe, or what color a friend likes when I'm knitting gifts. I may choose a different color for a project depending on whether I am planning to wear the item (like a hat) or if I'm going to be using it (a washcloth).

Blue is one of my favorite colors - from deep sapphire blue:

Midnight Scowl Brioche


and bright turquoise:

Peacock shawl

My color choices also vary by season. I'm finishing the peacock shawl pictured above, and look forward to wearing it this spring and summer. I also plan to knit a shawl out of this yarn:

Grain Yarn
which makes me think of the grain harvest in late summer.

And last fall I knit this shawl out of a deep burgundy red:

Blood Moon Shawl 2

(Difficult color to photograph!)

I've also found myself buying more purple yarns recently, since I have several close friends who like purple. I'm also on the hunt for some deep green yarn and am considering a black (or almost black) shawl for another friend. Color is definitely a consideration as I start planning birthday gifts this spring.

When knitting for the men in my life I tend to pick browns, greens, or grays. Like these fingerless gloves for my brother:

Nat's fingerless gloves

I think the only color I tend to shy away from is yellow. Lemon or banana shades just don't look good on me. Come to think of it, I'm not sure who they would look good on. Though I could see knitting some washcloths in a sunny yellow...

and I have a strange fondness for chartreuse:

Abstract Fiber 2

There are definitely colors I am more likely to buy for myself, but I've also been pleasantly surprised to receive other colors during swaps. Swapping has definitely inspired me to take more risks with color. 

What are your favorite colors to knit with? Are these also your favorite colors to wear?

3KCBWDAY1

2 comments:

  1. I love the colors you've picked for yourself. They look so good on you (and it's fun shopping yarn colors with you.)
    Impulsively I buy colors that I really like or that go with my outfits. I like earth tones and darker colors - I am really wanting to make a black shawl for myself. Dark green, red, and burnt orange are my favorites these days.
    I agree that I stay away from yellow - the only person who I can see wearing that would be someone with dark skin.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blue, blue, blue! And some deep red and purple (which is only BLUE plus red), too.

    I don't really do the yellow thing, either. I did wear a bridesmaid's dress in a stunning sunny yellow once...ouch.

    ReplyDelete