Saturday, August 1, 2009

Spinning...

Last weekend I (finally) decided to take a drop spindle class. I had been wanting to learn how to spin, there was still space in the class at Knitting Bee, and I needed somewhere air-conditioned to spend the afternoon... so it worked out well ;)

Seemed like a lot of things to learn in a two hour class, and I felt like I was just starting to get a feel for what the fiber and spindle feel like. Then I had school all last week, and there wasn't really any time to practice.

Today I pulled out one of the fiber samples I had gotten in the Phat Fiber box, and decided to try spinning to see what I remembered. Now I think I'm hooked ;) I think I've learned that playing with the fiber too much just leads to over-spinning, and it didn't seem to take much to turn the fiber into yarn. And I was using a fabulous organic wool sample from Extreme Spinning, so it was probably easier to spin than the roving we used in class last week.

So now I'm looking at what other samples I want to spin! I also have some nice Abstract Fiber samples I got during the yarn crawl last winter...

Also thinking about knitting another sock so I can have a pair to wear to Sock Summit next weekend! Finished the other one a couple of weeks ago, and haven't gotten motivated to knit the other one. But I would like to have a pair of socks to wear to Sock Summit, and the only other socks I've knit are house socks which will be too warm to wear!
I didn't actually get tickets for any events or classes, but am looking forward to checking out the marketplace and sock museum. A little scared about the number of crazy sock knitters that will be descending on Portland in the next few days though... I will also be volunteering at the Marketplace on Friday and assisting in a beginning sock knitting class on Saturday :) Should be lots of fun knitting and spinning adventures now that summer school is over!

No comments:

Post a Comment