Monday, April 27, 2009

Socks (part 2)

So, yesterday was part 2 of the sock knitting class at the Knitting Bee. Knitting the heel flap wasn't too bad, and the short row heel wasn't as scary as I expected. Picking up stitches was more challenging... I have picked up stitches before, but mostly for bags. I wasn't as concerned with making the picked up stitches look pretty when I knew the bag was going to be felted! Plus it seemed easier to pick up stitches when using size 10+ needles; it was different trying to pick up stitches on the size 3 needles!

It really got interesting when working the instep stitches. After working back and forth for the heel, I think I forgot the proper magic loop technique... so I got confused about where in the round I was. Also had to deal with the railroad rib pattern on the front of the foot. I think knitting plain stockinette socks would have been less confusing! And I may try my next pair on double points, since I feel more comfortable with those. Oh, and I supposed I should finish the second sock before I start thinking about the next pair...

1 comment:

  1. Magic loop socks? I found them fiddly. Much easier to do them with two circulars for me.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete