Saturday, January 26, 2013

Reconnecting to the Body

I’m a little behind in the Pagan Blog Project. I had hoped to get this post up yesterday, but was having trouble getting motivated. This may be related to the topic I had chosen.

Let’s back up for a just a minute. I had several ideas floating around in my head about what to write about for the letter B: beginnings, beliefs, besoms. But these seemed very focused on the mental (even besoms, which I think of as brooms for cleansing mental/spiritual energy, as opposed to physical energy). I was noticing that, in general, I have been feeling less connected to my body. So I started thinking about how to feel more grounded and centered. But there’s the problem – I was thinking about writing this post, instead of actually connecting to my body. Sometimes it’s difficult to just be.

This morning I baked scones for breakfast. I find baking to be grounding, especially kneading dough. There’s a physical connection to the food that you are making, and then physically taking in that same food when you eat it. I also enjoyed my scones with local honey, which seemed like a further connection to the physical place where I’m living.

While baking is one way to connect to the body, another way to connect is by simply breathing. Though this often seems easier said than done.

I first started practicing mindful breathing in grad school. We talked about as an aspect of counseling theories and practiced before we started seeing clients in practicum. I found it helpful to center myself before I went to meet with clients. As a therapist, I have helped clients practice breathing techniques to help reduce symptoms of anxiety. Breathing can be a powerful way to reconnect to your body and begin to recognize emotions you may have been burying. If you would like to explore this further, I encourage you to find a mental health therapist who uses mindfulness techniques. You may also want to look for a certified Hakomi Therapist. I am not certified, but have friends who have completed the training. (May be time for me to look into the training again!) 

So, that is my professional disclaimer. If you have symptoms of anxiety, depression or other mental health concerns, please find a qualified mental health professional.

That being said, similar mindfulness techniques may be used as part of a spiritual practice. I practice mindful breathing and meditation as part of my personal spiritual practice. As a Priestess, I have led guided meditations to help fellow Pagans prepare for ritual. When I lead a guided meditation I make sure to allow time to relax the body before moving to the mental images and connecting to the spiritual self. Body, mind and spirit all work together. At the end of the guided journey it’s also important to bring awareness back to the breath and then back to the body as a whole. Pagan spirituality is based on the physical world, not in an after-life. We seek divinity in Nature, finding magick all around us. When I start to forget this, I take a moment to follow my breath back into my body. There’s no wrong way to practice mindful breathing, you simply have to be.  

No comments:

Post a Comment