Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Paper or Yarn?

I have mentioned in previous posts that I do some papercrafting (scrapbooking, visual journaling, collage, etc.), lots of knitting, and a little spindle spinning. I knit several holiday gifts, and then last weekend was inspired to do some more papercrafting.

For me, papercrafting is more free-form than knitting. When I'm knitting I tend to follow a pattern and haven't tried designing patterns. With scrapbooking and collage I tend to play more with different papers and stickers/stamps. I also like decorating journal pages, and using collage along with creative writing (some of this is also related to my spirituality, so more on that in a future Pagan blog post).

I also got inspired to try some more card-making. I have made cards during classes, but haven't made too many on my own. My mom has made her own holiday cards the last few years, so I was also inspired after watching her finish her cards over the holidays (apparently procrastinating runs in the family ;) It was fun using a few of my rubber stamps again, and now that I have a template I'm planning to make some more to have on hand when I need them. Not that I've made more yet though!

Now that I've spent a few days papercrafting, I feel more undecided about what I want to knit next. I have a few things on the needles to finish, and plans to knit a few things for friends as "unbirthday" since I have too many friends with late fall/winter birthdays. I would like to pick a project to knit on the train to work tomorrow though. Making collages on public transit doesn't seem as practical!

My other dilemma is whether to take a papercrafting class later this month, or take an intarsia knitting class. Of course, both classes are on the same day at overlapping times! Haven't decided which one I want to take yet. Anyone want to decide for me? ;)

 How do you balance different types of crafting projects?

2 comments:

  1. I would pick the class that is going to teach me more of what I don't know. Like if the knitting class is going to cover a lot of what you have already learned, but the paper class is trying a new technique I would go to the paper class ( or the reverse) hope this helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Intarsia seems to be a class that pops up on a regular basis through the various shops. How about your paper class? Is this the first time you've seen this one offered? Or is it likely to be offered again soon? That's how I would decide. Which class may be harder to take in the future versus now.

    I'm readjucting how to balance different projects. Knitting, spinning, needlework, sewing, soapmaking, and other work with oils.

    Someone said something about scheduling a craft day so that a couple hours for each one is given. Guess that means that the project has to fit into that time frame or be easily stopped at the end of the allotted time.

    ReplyDelete