Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Go with the flow

I'm continuing with the Great Cowl KAL, and have successfully finished the first 3 cowls by the deadlines. Not only has this been an opportunity to practice knitting skills, but a chance to "go with the flow."

Cowl #3 started with casting on a large number of stitches, and joining in the round. I lost a few cast on stitches the first time I tried to join in the round, so the second time I just hoped I hadn't twisted it. So, of course, I discovered a twist about halfway through. I didn't have the energy to start over, so decided to just go with it. Further in the pattern I ended up slightly off on my stitch count, again, I decided to go with it. Also learning how to do short rows, and ended up with a few holes during these rows. Then I started running out of yarn. I did realize this before I started binding off, so I switched to a contrasting color from the stash and added a few rounds before binding off.

Finally finished, and it turned out longer and skinnier than I was hoping for. So, not my favorite cowl so far. But still proud of myself for finishing on time, and for being willing to experiment. I trusted that it would turn out okay. And the worst that could happen would be deciding to frog and start over. It's only yarn after all (super soft and lovely colors, but still just yarn).

I can wrap it 3 times around my neck. Thinking I'll take it to knit night next month and get a few more opinions before I decide whether to wear it or frog.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment